The Board is charged with the responsibility of examining all applicants for licenses to practice as sanitarians in the State of Louisiana and is empowered to issue licenses to applicants who qualify and successfully pass the Board’s examination.
The Board is also empowered to suspend or revoke for due cause any license which it has issued, and to reinstate or renew any license which has been suspended or revoked.
Notice to Those Who Served or are Serving in the Military and Military Spouses:
Please visit the click on “Requirements and Fees” on navigational pane at the top of the Home page to view the educational requirements for a temporary sanitarian permit and the requirements for a Registered Sanitarian license.
Complaints about any actions or procedures of the LA State Board of Examiners for Sanitarians may be submitted by mail to LSBES – 7515 Jefferson Hwy., #161 – Baton Rouge, LA 70806.
Please visit often for information regarding:
- Board Meeting/Exam Dates Have Been Posted — click on Announcements!
- License Renewal Form can be accessed by clicking on the Requirements & Fees navigational link at the top of this page and then clicking on Forms.
- IMPORTANT CONTACT HOUR INFORMATION!! 1. CPTP Courses are NOT approved for contact hours! 2. Courses MUST be approved by LSBES before the date of the offering or NO LATER THAN 30 days after the date of the offering!
- Click on “Continuing Education“ for current year Approved Courses.
- CDC Environmental Sciences Self-Study Course: Do You Need A CDC Self Study Workbook? If you need this workbook in order to complete requirements for testing with the Board, please do the following: Send a written request to the LSBES and a money order or check made payable to “LSBES” in the amount of $30.50 to Janet Merritt, LSBES, 7515 Jefferson Hwy., #161, Baton Rouge, LA 70806. Be sure to include your name, your supervisor’s name, your duty station and region and your mailing address. Janet will send you the workbook along with the answer sheets. Questions? Contact Janet at 225-324-6989 or by email at Janet.Merritt@la.gov
- WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 16th
10:00am – Bienville Bldg., Rm. 118 – 628 N. 4th Street – Baton Rouge, LA 70802
- TUESDAY, JUNE 14th
10:00am – Bienville Bldg., Rm. 118 – 628 N. 4th Street – Baton Rouge, LA 70802
- WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 26th
10:00am – Town Hall Auditorium – 220 W. Willow St. – Building C – Lafayette, LA 70501
The following must be submitted to the Board at least 30 days BEFORE the test date. Please use the following address: LSBES, 7515 Jefferson Hwy., #161, Baton Rouge, LA 70806:
- A copy of Employee Notification Form.
- Verification of successful completion of the required CDC course.
Check or money order made payable to LSBES, in the amount of $50.
- Letter of recommendation from supervisor or Regional Sanitarian Director that applicant is ready to test.
- Temporary Sanitarian Permit MUST be current in order to apply for testing!
2022 Board Meeting Dates
- WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 16th
9:00am – Bienville Bldg., Rm. 118 – 628 N. 4th Street – Baton Rouge, LA 70802
- TUESDAY, JUNE 14th
8:30am – Bienville Bldg., Rm. 118 – 628 N. 4th Street – Baton Rouge, LA 70802
- WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 26th
9:00am – Town Hall Auditorium – 220 W. Willow St. – Building C – Lafayette, LA 70501
Renewal notices are NOT sent out to Temporary Sanitarians!!! It is the reponsibility of each Temporary Sanitarian to renew his/her license in a timely manner!
To request Inactive Status, please submit the following information: name, current address, number of years as a sanitarian, last place of employment. NOTE: While on Inactive Status, sanitarians cannot work in any capacity as a Registered Sanitarian in Louisiana. To request reactivation of an Inactive Status license requires a written request to the Board along with payment of $100 reactivation fee. At the time of reactivation, the sanitarian must begin acruing the required 8 contact hours.
Just What Is A Contact Hour?
The Board defines one (1) contact hour as one clock hour of continuing education in an approved educational experience approved by the Board or 0.1 CEU in an approved educational experience approved by the Board.
- How many hours do I need to acquire? You will need to acquire eight (8) Contact Hours during a calendar year.
- What happens if I don’t acquire the eight Contact Hours? Failure to comply with the Contact Hour requirement may result in revocation of your license.
- I hold a Temporary Sanitarian Permit, am I required to obtain 8 Contact Hours? No; however, you are required to renew your Temporary Sanitarian Permit each year (on or before the issue date).
- How can I get an educational offering approved? Simply complete LSBES-2, “Request for Sanitarian Continuing Education Credit Form/Individual Sanitarian” and submit to the Board. Make certain you submit the form as soon as possible. Don’t wait till the last minute!
- I know of an organization that wants to provide contact hours, how can I get information? Have the organization complete the LSBES-4, “Sponsor Application for Continuing Education Continuing Education for Louisiana Registered Sanitarians” and submit to the Board as soon as possible.
- Where do I find these forms? Simply click on the Forms navigation link. The LSBES-2 and LSBES-4 along with LSBES-3, “Sample Course Evaluation Form” can be downloaded for your use.
IMPORTANT NOTE! While it is always best to apply for approval of contact hours before an offering takes place, this isn’t always possible! Please remember, you have up to 30 days AFTER an offering to apply for approval. Do NOT send in applications for contact hour approval after the 30 day time limit! Applications received after the 30 day time limit will be returned to the applicant with no action taken!
Contact Hour Providers/Offerings:
Types of instructional courses, short courses, technical sessions, seminars, workshops, etc., generally recognized by the Board as potentially fulfilling the contact hour requirement include, but are not limited to the following:
- Center for Environmental Health Services, Sanitarian Services-sponsored courses with certificate of completion and approval of the Board.
- Annual educational conferences, technical sessions, seminars and workshops sponsored by: Louisiana Environmental Health Association (LEHA), National Environmental Health Association (NEHA), Louisiana Public Health Association (LPHA), American Public Health Association (APHA), Louisiana Rural Water Association (LRWA, Louisiana Conference on Water Supply, Sewerage and Industrial Wastes, American Water Works Association, Water Environment Federation, Louisiana Water Environment Association, Louisiana Environmental Training Center at University of Louisiana at Lafayette, and Louisiana Mosquito Control (LMC), USDA, FDA, CDC and EPA certified courses with certificate of completion and approval of the Board.
- University/college courses approved by the Board in advance.
Continuing Education Forms
APPROVED 2022 TRAININGS
2022SANSERV1: “LAC Title 51 Part XXI Daycare Centers” – ZOOM webinar on 01/11/22 from 8:30am-10:30am; approved for 2.0 contact hours.
2022GAINEY1: “Design and Sizing of Grease Traps”; Thursday, Jan. 20, 2022 – 11:30am to 12:30pm – Webinar; approved for 1.0 contact hr.
2022EPA1: “Integrated Rodent Management in Food Service Commercial Properties; webinar on Thursday, Jan. 20th – 10:0-2:00pm; approved for 4.0 hours.
2022NOMTRCB1: “Urban Rodent Control”; virtual course series of the New Orleans Mosquito, Termite and Rodent Control Board; “Rodent Biology” on 1/21/22 from 2:00-3:30pm (approved for 1.5 hours); “Integrated Rodent Management” on 2/3/22 from 2:00-3:30pm (approved for 1.5 hours); “Rodent Proofing Techniques” on 2/17/22 from 2:00-3:30pm (approved for 1.5 hours); and “Importance of Rodent Management” on 3/10/22 from 2:00-3:30pm (approved for 1.5 hours).
2022LEHA1: “Retail Sushi – Most Commonly Cited Food Safety Issues”; 2/8/22 from 12:00-1:00pm – approved for 1 hour.
2022GAINEY2: “Microbial Induced Corrosion of Protection of Concrete Structures”; Thursday, March 17, 2022 – 11:30am to 12:30pm – Webinar; approved for 1.0 contact hour.
2022LEHA2: “Sushi Symposium Part II AFC Sushi Compliance-Current Best Practices”; 03/29/22 Virtual – 12:00 to 1:00 pm – approved for 1.0 contact hour.
2022EPA2: “Managing Bed Bugs with Limited Resources”; online webinar March 29, 2022 – 1:00-2:30pm CST – approved for 1.5 hours.
2022SERVSAFE1″ “ServSafe National Restaurant Association ServSafe Manager Online Course”; approved for 8 hours.
2022ENG1: “Zoom Meetings for San Hours”; 4th Thursday of each month; approved for 1 hour each.
2022LPHA1: “The Importance of Festival Inspections in the Age of Infectious Diseases”; 4/8/22 from 9:00 to 10:00 am – virtual presentation approved for 1.0 contact hour.
2022LEHA3: “Groundwater Management Status and Long-Term Strategic Plans”; 04/26/22 from 12:00 to 2:00 PM – webinar – approved for 2.0 contact hours. Hosted by the LA Environmental Health Association.
2022SANSERV2: “High Strength Design Considerations for Onsite WWT Systems; 04/26/22 from 9:30 to 10:30 AM – webinar – approved for 1.0 contact hour. Hosted by LDH/OPH Sanitarian Services.
2022GAINEY3: “Gainey’s 2022 Wastewater Conference”; 4/29/22 from 8:00am to 4:00pm – 28021 Coker- Vail Rd. – Holden, LA; approved for 8.0 contact hours.
2022SANSERV3 – “New San. School – Onsite Wastewater Day”; 5/19/22 from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM; approved for up to 6.0 contact hours based on participation. Sponsored by LDH/OPH Sanitarian Services.
2022SANSERV4 – “Sanitarian Retail Food Boot Camp”; 5/18/22 from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM and on 10/19/22 from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM – Bienville Bldg. (628 N. 4th St.) in Baton Rouge; approved for up to 8.0 contact hours based on participation. Sponsored by LDH/OPH Sanitarian Services.
2022EPA3: “Managing Common Indoor Pests – Cockroaches, Rodents, and Fleas”; 05/24/22 from 1:00 to 4:45 PM – webinar – three 75-minute presentations approved for 1.25 contact hours each for up to 3.75 contact hours based on participation. Sponsored by the US Environmental Protection Agency-Center for IPM.
2022PWC1: “The Private Well Class”; 6/7/22 from 1:00-3:00 PM and on 8/2/22 from 1:00-3:00 PM; Webinar sponsored by Private Well Class.Org/Illinois State Water Survey; approved for 2.0 contact hours. Contact Steven Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org for registration information.
2022SERVSAFE – “09-ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification Examination”; 6/15/22 from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM and on 11/2/22 from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM; approved for 8.0 contact hours. Sponsored by LDH/OPH Quality Assurance Division.
2022NEHA1: “2022 NEHA Annual Educational Conference” – June 29-July 1, 2022 in Spokane, WA; June 29th – approved for up to 6.5 hrs for select presentations; June 30th – approved for up to 7.0 hrs for select presentations; July 1st – approved for up to 4.5 hrs for select presentations. To request a list of the approved presentations, call LSBES at (225) 324-6989.
2022EAS: “Food Allergens and FDA – What’s Happening”; online webinar on 7/20/22 from 12:00-1:00pm CST – approved for 1.0 contact hour. Sponsored by EAS Consulting Group.
2022PWC2: “Septic Systems 101”; 8/4/22 from 1:00-3:00PM ; Webinar sponsored by Private Well Class.Org/Illinois State Water Survey; approved for 2.0 contact hours.
2022Tulane1: “Louisiana Hurricane Response Hub (LaHRH)“; online training through Tulane Univ. Learning Management System; features 4 courses that include “After the Hurricane: Potential Hazards and Disaster Recovery”, “Mold Exposure and Health Effects”, Heat-Related Illness-Risk Factors, Types & Prevention”, and “Protecting Your Private Well Water..”. Each course is approved for 1.0 contact hour for a total of up to 4.0 contact hours. Access the free courses at: https://lms.southcentralpartnership.org/local/certificateprogram/view.php?id=27
2022NOMTRCB2: “New Orleans Urban Pest Management Symposium” – Aug. 10-12, 2022 at Audubon Tea Room -6500 Magazine St. – New Orleans 70118. Approved for up to 11.5 hours based on participation in the following presentations: Session A – The Role of A Sanitarian; Panel Discussion & Questions; Session C – General Pest; Session G – Breakout Field Demonstration Sessions; Session H – The Future of Urban Rodent Control; Incorporation Exclusion Into Your Business; Session I – Integrated Rodent Management; Session K – Rodent Collaboration Breakouts.
2021 Approved Training
The following training has received blanket approval; the exception is that Annual Conferences must be approved separately:
- 2021-FDA: FDA-sponsored on-line and classroom training – the approved CEU’s are those that FDA determines. The following are links for information on courses: FDA ORA U Level 1 Online Courses
- 2021-CDC: CDC sponsored on-line and classroom training that is pertinent to Environmental Health / Sanitarian duties.
- 2021-LRWA: Operator Certification training
- 2021-AWWA: Operator Certification training
- 2021-NEHA: Online/web-based training
- 2021-EcoLab: Online/web-based training
- 2021-ServSafe Food Safety: Online/web-based training
- 2021-EPA: Online/web-based and classroom training
- 2021-Tulane Univ. LMS: Online/web-based training related to Environmental Health
- 2021-NOMTRCB: Live and web-based training relative to mosquito, rodent, insect (excluding termites) and vector control only.
Other Approved 2021 Training
2021BOOTCAMP: “Sanitarian Retail Food Boot Camp” – Feb. 23, 2021 at Cajun Dome in Lafayette at 10:00am-12:05pm – approved for 3.5 contact hrs; also on June 23, 2021 at Alexandria Riverfront Center in Alexandria, LA from 10:00am to 3:00pm – approved for 4.0 contact hours.
2021-NOMTRCB1 – Mosquito Control (virtual course); 1/16/21 – 11:00am-12:30pm – approved for 1.5 contact hours.
2021ENG1 – D3 Sanitary Survey Call on 1/15/21 from 10:00am-12:00pm; approved for 2.0 contact hours.
2021-NOMTRCB2 – Mosquitoes and Disease (Virtual Course); 01/30/21 – 11:00am-12:30pm – approved for 1.5 contact hours.
2021-NOMTRCB3 – Home + Personal Protection (virtual course); 2/20/21 – 11:00am to 12:30pm – approved for 1.5 contact hours.
2021-ENG2 – LDH Engineering-Drinking Webinars; monthly Zoom meetings held on 4th Thursday of each month to assist drinking water staff with up to date technical knowledge of State and federal Safe Drinking Water Act Requirements. Approved for 1 contact hour each.
2021SERVSAFE – “ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification Examination” – March 3, 2021 at Bienville Bldg in Baton Rouge; 8:00am-12:00pm; approved for 4 contact hrs.
2021-NOMTRCB4 – Integrated Pest Management (Virtual Course); 3/6/21 – 11:00am-12:30pm – approved for 1.5 contact hours.
2021-LPHA – “COVID Pandemic Webinar Series” – March 19, 2021 – 11:00am-1:10pm; 2 presentations approved for 1 contact hour each for a total of up to 2 hours. To register go to www.lpha.org .
2021-SANSERV1 – Onsite Wastewater Installers Workshop; 3/19/21 in Lafayette; 6/18/21 in Baton Rouge; 8/27/21 in Kenner; 10/8/21 in Alexandria; 8:00am-1:00pm – approved for 4.0 contact hours (instruction hours only)
2021-SANSERV2 – “New Sanitarian School-Onsite Wastewater”; March 4, 2021 at Bienville Bldg. in Baton Rouge from 8:00am-3:00pm; approved for 6 contact hours.
2021PWC: “Groundwater and Well Construction 101” – virtual webinar sponsored by The Private Well Class on April 8, 2021 at 1:00-2:30pm; approved for 1.5 contact hours.
2021FBI: “Radiological Fundamentals, Preparedness and Training”; Virtual training on May 5, 2021 from 1:30-4:00pm; approved for 2.5 contact hours.
2021SANSERV3: “PPE Use for Public Health Sanitarians”; virtual training 5/20/21 from 10:00-11:00am; approved for 1.0 contact hour.
2021LPHA2: “LPHA Educational Webinar – Current Trends and Regulations for Cannabis Based Products”; Friday, July 23, 2021 – virtual presentation by Justin Gremillion, MPH, RS from 11:05am-12:05pm – approved for 1 contact hour. Registration information is on the website www.lpha.org on NEWS page.
2021USFDA1: “2021 FDA Retail Food Protection Seminar”; Virtual Sessions; 9/13/21 approved for 3.5 hrs; 9/14/21 approved for 3.5 hrs; 9/15/21 approved for 3.0 hrs; 9/16/21 approved for 2.0 hrs.
2021AFDO1: “2021 AFDO 125th Annual Conference”; Virtual – 9/14-18/21; approved for up to 17.5 hours based on participation in educational sessions.
2021SANSERV4: “Communication Sanitarian Services”; Tuesday, Sept. 21st – 9:00 to 10:00am – Webinar; approved for 1.0 contact hour.
2021SANSERV5: “Onsite Wastewater and Premise Complaint Training”; Virtual Training on 10/5/21 for Sanitarians statewide from 9:30-10:30AM; approved for 1.0 contact hour.
2021 SANSERV6: “Rabies LAC Title 51 Part III”; Virtual training 10/12/21 viewed at each parish and regional office locations in OPH from 9:00-10:00AM; approved for 1.0 contact hour.
2021 SANSERV7: “New Sanitarian School-Onsite Wastewater” – 11/18/21 at the Bienville Bldg. in Baton Rouge; approved for 6 hours.
2021GAINEY1: “Sewer Treatment 101”; Thursday, Oct. 21st – 11:30am to 12:30pm – Webinar; approved for 1.0 contact hour.
2021GAINEY2: “Sewer Treatment Plant Design and Maintenance”; Thursday, Nov. 18th – 11:30am to 12:30pm – Webinar; approved for 1.0 contact hour.
2021GAINEY3: “Advanced Sewer Treatment”; Thursday, Dec. 16th – 11:30am to 12:30pm – Webinar; approved for 1.0 contact hour.
2021LUS1: “Louisiana Conference on Water Supply, Sewerage, and Industrial Waste, Inc.”; Dec. 1, 2021 in Carencro, LA; approved for 6.0 contact hours (1 hour each for sessions “Trouble Shooting Sewer Systems”, “Boil Advisories”, “Chlorine Training”, “Disinfection Method”, “Emergency Response”, Industrial Pretreatment”.
Attn: Janet Merritt
7515 Jefferson Hwy., #161
Baton Rouge LA 70806