The Board is charged with the responsibility of examining all applicants for licenses to practice as sanitarians in the State of Louisiana and is empowered to issue licenses to applicants who qualify and successfully pass the Board’s examination.
The Board is also empowered to suspend or revoke for due cause any license which it has issued, and to reinstate or renew any license which has been suspended or revoked.
Notice to Those Who Served or are Serving in the Military and Military Spouses:
Please visit the click on “Requirements and Fees” on navigational pane at the top of the Home page to view the educational requirements for a temporary sanitarian permit and the requirements for a Registered Sanitarian license.
Complaints about any actions or procedures of the LA State Board of Examiners for Sanitarians may be submitted by mail to LSBES – 7515 Jefferson Hwy., #161 – Baton Rouge, LA 70806; and/or to the Committee on House and Governmental Affairs – P. O. Box 44486 – Baton Rouge, LA 70804-4486 (phone 225-342-2403, email: firstname.lastname@example.org); and/or to the Committee on Senate and Governmental Affairs – P. O. Box 94183 – Baton Rouge, LA 70804 (phone 225-342-9845, email: email@example.com ).
Please visit often for information regarding:
- Board Meeting/Exam Dates Have Been Posted — click on Announcements!
- License Renewal Form can be accessed by clicking on the Requirements & Fees navigational link at the top of this page and then clicking on Forms.
- IMPORTANT CONTACT HOUR INFORMATION!! 1. CPTP Courses are NOT approved for contact hours! 2. Courses MUST be approved by LSBES before the date of the offering or NO LATER THAN 30 days after the date of the offering!
- Click on “Continuing Education“ for current year Approved Courses.
- CDC Environmental Sciences Self-Study Course: Do You Need A CDC Self Study Workbook? If you need this workbook in order to complete requirements for testing with the Board, please do the following: Send a written request to the LSBES and a money order or check made payable to “LSBES” in the amount of $30.50 to Janet Merritt, LSBES, 7515 Jefferson Hwy., #161, Baton Rouge, LA 70806. Be sure to include your name, your supervisor’s name, your duty station and region and your mailing address. Janet will send you the workbook along with the answer sheets. Questions? Contact Janet at 225-324-6989 or by email at Janet.Merritt@la.gov
- WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 24th
10:00am – Bienville Bldg., Rm. 118 – 628 N. 4th Street – Baton Rouge, LA 70802
- WEDNESDAY, JUNE 16TH
10:00am (Location TBD)
The following must be submitted to the Board at least 30 days BEFORE the test date. Please use the following address: LSBES, 7515 Jefferson Hwy., #161, Baton Rouge, LA 70806:
- A copy of Employee Notification Form.
- Verification of successful completion of the required CDC course.
Check or money order made payable to LSBES, in the amount of $50.
- Letter of recommendation from supervisor or Regional Sanitarian Director that applicant is ready to test.
- Temporary Sanitarian Permit MUST be current in order to apply for testing!
2021 Board Meeting Dates
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 24th
9:00 AM – Bienville Bldg., Rm. 118 – 628 N. 4th Street – Baton Rouge, LA 70802
- WEDNESDAY, JUNE 16th
9:00 AM (Location TBD)
Renewal notices are NOT sent out to Temporary Sanitarians!!! It is the reponsibility of each Temporary Sanitarian to renew his/her license in a timely manner!
To request Inactive Status, please submit the following information: name, current address, number of years as a sanitarian, last place of employment. NOTE: While on Inactive Status, sanitarians cannot work in any capacity as a Registered Sanitarian in Louisiana. To request reactivation of an Inactive Status license requires a written request to the Board along with payment of $100 reactivation fee. At the time of reactivation, the sanitarian must begin acruing the required 8 contact hours.
Just What Is A Contact Hour?
The Board defines one (1) contact hour as one clock hour of continuing education in an approved educational experience approved by the Board or 0.1 CEU in an approved educational experience approved by the Board.
- How many hours do I need to acquire? You will need to acquire eight (8) Contact Hours during a calendar year.
- What happens if I don’t acquire the eight Contact Hours? Failure to comply with the Contact Hour requirement may result in revocation of your license.
- I hold a Temporary Sanitarian Permit, am I required to obtain 8 Contact Hours? No; however, you are required to renew your Temporary Sanitarian Permit each year (on or before the issue date).
- How can I get an educational offering approved? Simply complete LSBES-2, “Request for Sanitarian Continuing Education Credit Form/Individual Sanitarian” and submit to the Board. Make certain you submit the form as soon as possible. Don’t wait till the last minute!
- I know of an organization that wants to provide contact hours, how can I get information? Have the organization complete the LSBES-4, “Sponsor Application for Continuing Education Continuing Education for Louisiana Registered Sanitarians” and submit to the Board as soon as possible.
- Where do I find these forms? Simply click on the Forms navigation link. The LSBES-2 and LSBES-4 along with LSBES-3, “Sample Course Evaluation Form” can be downloaded for your use.
IMPORTANT NOTE! While it is always best to apply for approval of contact hours before an offering takes place, this isn’t always possible! Please remember, you have up to 30 days AFTER an offering to apply for approval. Do NOT send in applications for contact hour approval after the 30 day time limit! Applications received after the 30 day time limit will be returned to the applicant with no action taken!
Contact Hour Providers/Offerings:
Types of instructional courses, short courses, technical sessions, seminars, workshops, etc., generally recognized by the Board as potentially fulfilling the contact hour requirement include, but are not limited to the following:
- Center for Environmental Health Services, Sanitarian Services-sponsored courses with certificate of completion and approval of the Board.
- Annual educational conferences, technical sessions, seminars and workshops sponsored by: Louisiana Environmental Health Association (LEHA), National Environmental Health Association (NEHA), Louisiana Public Health Association (LPHA), American Public Health Association (APHA), Louisiana Rural Water Association (LRWA, Louisiana Conference on Water Supply, Sewerage and Industrial Wastes, American Water Works Association, Water Environment Federation, Louisiana Water Environment Association, Louisiana Environmental Training Center at University of Louisiana at Lafayette, and Louisiana Mosquito Control (LMC), USDA, FDA, CDC and EPA certified courses with certificate of completion and approval of the Board.
- University/college courses approved by the Board in advance.
Continuing Education Forms
2020 Approved Training
The following training has received blanket approval; the exception is that Annual Conferences must be approved separately:
- 2020-FDA: FDA-sponsored on-line and classroom training – the approved CEU’s are those that FDA determines. The following are links for information on courses: FDA ORA U Level 1 Online Courses
- 2020-CDC: CDC sponsored on-line and classroom training that is pertinent to Environmental Health / Sanitarian duties.
- 2020-LRWA: Operator Certification training
- 2020-AWWA: Operator Certification training
- 2020-NEHA: Online/web-based training
- 2020-EcoLab: Online/web-based training
- 2020-ServSafe Food Safety: Online/web-based training
- 2020-EPA: Online/web-based and classroom training
- 2020-Tulane Univ. LMS: Online/web-based training related to Environmental Health
Other Approved 2020 Training
2020Gainey: “Gainey’s 2020 Wastewater Conference”, Nov. 6, 2020 – Holden, LA from 8:00-4:00; approved for 8.0 contact hours; contact Cyndi Glascock at (225) 567-2700.
2020-SAN – “New Sanitarian On-Site Wastewater” – Feb. 6th – 8:00-4:30 – approved for 8 hrs; Dec. 9th and Dec. 16th from 8:30-11:30 each day–must attend both days — approved for 6 hours total.
2020-PWC1 – “Well Care 101- What You Need to Know to Protect Your Family” online webinar – 6/11/20 from 1:00-2:30pm – approved for 1.5 hrs (Univ. of Illinois/PrivateWellClass.org)
2020-PWC2 – “Septic Systems 101” online webinar on 7/13/20 from 1:00-2:30pm – approved for 1.5 hrs (Univ. of Illinois/PrivateWellClass.org)
2020-FSS: “40th Annual Food Safety & Sanitation Workshop” – virtual workshop on 11/10/20 at 11:00 CST; approved for 5.0 contact hours; sponsored by Washington State University.
2020-NOMTCB – “Structural Pest Control Technician Recertification and Commercial Vertebrate, Termite, General Pest and WDIR”; 7:30am-4:30pm – approved for 5.75 contact hours; sponsored by New Orleans Mosquito & Termite Control Board – located at 2100 Leon C. Simon Dr., New Orleans, LA 70122; contact Claudia Riegel at 504-658-2400.
2020-ENG1: Region 9 Meeting/Training – 1/30/20; approved for 2.0 contact hours
2020-ENG2: Region 2 Meeting/Training – 2/7/20; approved for 2.0 contact hours
2020-ENG3: District II MPP Training – 6/24/20; approved for 2.0 contact hrs,
2020-LSWA: “Virtual Operator Certification Program” sponsored by LA Solid Waste Association – 7/14/20 approved for 5.0 contact hours; 7/15/20 approved for 2.0 contact hours
2020-ENG4: District II IDC Training – 7/22/20; approved for 2.0 contact hrs.
2020-ENG5: Bi-Weekly Sanitary Survey Call – 8/28/20; approved for 2.0 contact hrs.
2020-ENG6: Bi-Weekly Sanitary Survey Call – 10/23/20; approved for 2.0 contact hrs.
2020-ENG7: Bi-Weekly Sanitary Survey Call – 11/6/20; approved for 2.0 contact hrs.
2020-NOMTCB2: “Importance of Rodent Management” – 12/12/20 virtual course from 11:00am-12:30pm presented by New Orleans Mosquito, Termite and Rodent Control Board; approved for 1.5 contact hours.
2020 ENG8: Chlorine Optimization Concepts – 12/16/20 online virtual training (Alicia Martinez) from 8:45am-3:00pm; approved for 5.0 contact hrs.
2020-CUI: “Private Wells for Sanitarians” – ZOOM webinar presented by Communities Unlimited, Inc. – 12/28/20 from 10:00am-12:00pm – approved for 2 contact hours.
Attn: Janet Merritt
7515 Jefferson Hwy., #161
Baton Rouge LA 70806