An applicant must meet the following requirements: graduation from an accredited college or university, with a bachelor’s degree and concentration of courses in the general area of environmental health. In lieu thereof, an applicant may offer a bachelor’s degree which includes at least thirty (30) semester hours (or the equivalent) of courses in the physical and biological sciences, with a minimum of six (6) hours in the physical sciences and a minimum of ten (10) hours in the biological sciences. The physical sciences will be said to include only chemistry and physics; the biological sciences include but are not limited to biology, entomology, microbiology, zoology; and such applied sciences as animal husbandry, dairy husbandry, environmental sciences, environmental engineering, and veterinary science.
The following must be submitted:
- Completed application for license – Click here for Form
- Official transcript from college or university
- Appropriate fee (personal check or money order – made out to LSBES)
Fees for Temporary Sanitarian Permit
NOTE: A Temporary Permit is valid for one year from issue date!
- Education Review and Temporary Permit – $25.00
- Renewal of Temporary Permit – $25.00
- Penalty for Late Payment of Renewal of Temporary Permit – $15.00
Application, official transcript and fees are to be mailed to:
7515 Jefferson Hwy., #161
Baton Rouge LA 70806
NOTE: All documents become the property of the Louisiana State Board of Examiners for Sanitarians. All fees remitted are non-refundable except under such conditions as the Board may establish.
Instructions for Renewing Temporary Sanitarian Permit
Sanitarians holding temporary permits may renew by submitting a letter to the Board. This letter must include temporary permit number and current mailing address. Please include appropriate fees and forward to the above address.
Requirements & Fees for Examination
The Louisiana State Board of Examiners for Sanitarians offers examinations at least twice a year. The examination consists of a written exam and an oral exam.
Requirements for examination are:
- 10-12 months field experience including specified phases of environmental health (documentation must be provided)
- Completion of a short, intensive training course in environmental health (copy of completion certificate must be provided)
- Letter requesting examination by applicant
- Letter of recommendation from Regional Sanitarian Director/Parish Manager/Program Supervisor
- Copy of Civil Service Employee Notification Form verifying date of hire and position.
- Copy of active temporary sanitarian permit.
- Examination Fee – $50.00
- Re-examination Fee – $25.00
Fees for Registered Sanitarians
The following fees are hereby in effect:
- Renewal of Registered Sanitarian License – $25.00 – PAY ONLINE
- Duplicate License – $20.00
- Penalty for Late Payment of Renewal of Registered Sanitarian License – $15.00 – PAY ONLINE
- Reinstatement Due to Revocation/Suspension (in addition to all past unpaid renewal fees) – $100.00
- Reactivation of Registered Sanitarian License – $100.00
- Registered Sanitarian Licenses are to be renewed by January 15th of each year.
Registered Sanitarians Online Renewal
NOTE: Registered Sanitarian Licenses are to be renewed by January 15th of each year!
- Renewal of Registered Sanitarian License – $25.00
- Penalty for Late Payment of Renewal of Registered Sanitarian License – $15.00